Thread: Club Thinning
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #36
31 Woody

Default Re: Club Thinning

I grew up the son of a Model A club member and enthusiast/parts hoarder (sorry Dad!). But being a mid-60’s baby—when it was time for a car, I wanted a Mustang. It didn’t mean I didn’t like Model A’s, I just wanted a more practical daily driver for high school and college. I still love Mustangs and have several, but at least 10 years ago, I made it clear I wanted a Model A and Dad came through.

I am a member of a Model A club and have no plans of being in a Mustang club any time soon. My reasons are:
- Mustang clubs consisted of car show people. They wanted to sit in a lawn chair in a parking lot most Saturdays. When there was a tour, I tried my best to participate. I did a few shows, but yuck, I would rather be in the garage or driving.
- judged shows consisted of spectators voting for the best chrome or show participants voting for the best chrome. Nah, not what I want either.
- Working on cars - I like working on my cars. The Mustang Club I was in last consisted of 99% people who paid others to work on their cars. Nope, I can’t learn anything from that other than having a fat wallet might make my car nicer.
- Food - Mustang clubbers like food as do Model A club people, so that is a push. We all have to eat and it is a chance to talk cars—but I don’t want to hear how much you paid someone to work on your car while we eat, tell me how you did something or how to fix something on my car (Knowledge)
- Memories of Model A’s: Tours, roadside seminars, members restoring their cars, members doing amazing reconstructive surgery on stuff that probably should have been replaced: every one of those provided learning/knowledge if I was paying any attention. And if it was a tour, we did something fun as a family. Model A’s were a family affair, I grew up riding in one and wanted my kids to do the same—good memories.

Where do I think we are missing it? If younger people use social media, it needs to be part of our club in some way. I would love a club Social Media where the experienced members could consult with me with their opinions, we could share events, plan get togethers, and just offer support and friendship. To get those today, I have to call specific people or go to the club breakfast and seek out experience. I am learning, it sure isn’t a Mustang when it is repair time.

This forum is great—I can post something and get 6 bits of advice in a few hours. But my family doesn’t get anything from it. The family fun/memories are important too. A social media presence would help me know of local events coming up or what we missed. If local A owners were going, I could coordinate with them/participate together—strength in numbers and comradarie. With Social Media it is so easy provide pictures, advice, information, many things.