View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
koates

Default Re: 1934 Ford model 40 Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Might in interesting to post what coils (tin can style) you are using. The ohm value makes a difference. On the original coil, your best bet would be to have it rebuilt.
Yes I agree with the above. Do a voltage test at the coil ignition supply terminal with engine running. The canister coil requires 6 to 7 volts which means the ballast resistor is not used, but would depend on the primary winding ohms resistance of that coil. The original Ford bakelite coil on the helmet distributer requires 4.5 volts with the ballast resister in series with the ignition supply. Don't buy todays new reproduction caps or rotors but buy NOS genuine Ford OR older NOS replacement parts which were made in the 1950s or so by many different aftermarket companies. These parts come up on ebay quite often. Also use a genuine Ford original ballast resistor, NOT a reproduction. THE original Ford ignition helmet distributer components on your 34 Ford were very very good in design and operation. I have them all on my 34 original four door sedan and never a problem. So get back to the stock system. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote