View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #5
highbeams

Default Re: Fire! half-ton pickup

Wow; freaky stuff. I, downright flat-out, 'lucked out'; it shoulda gone up in flames. Freaky good stuff happens too. You know, while driving it, I did smell smoke. looking around- hmmm, there's a fire somewhere out here. Kept looking.

You can imagine my being 'freaked out' upon getting into reality. It was really burned in oblong shape.

I posted this incident short & readable.

If interested in the long version, the truck was spotted by my bro. This was an outside-the-'barn find' in a neighboring (Wisconsin) county. Upon arriving, the farmer said that it 'ran but didn't go anywhere'. It was dentless, but apparently painted (silver-gray) over the green w/a barn broom. Quite sad-looking. Price negotiation= $150 beginning at my offer of 135.

Log-chain towed to our farm. My father & I pulled the shifter top to discover no oil in the case, worn into the case considerably. Another freak happenstance, my bro knew a guy w/a '38 sedan @ a farm setting out. My father & I visited that guy, told him our situation. "You can have the trans out of that car for five bucks." We pulled it and put it in the out-of-barn find that afternoon.

Later, during spare time, I pulled the brake cables. The cables and cables housings were rusted as one piece. Required one afternoon of slightly hammering each cable housing on a railroad rail 'anvil', attempting to pull the cable(s) w/a Vice-Grip. hmmm. then vertically hanging the cables and dribbling Liquid Wrench into the cable&housing(s). Then next afternoon, back to the anvil. Repeat as necessary, from each end. Success, but stopping - excuse me, applying brake pedal pressure well in advance of a required stop resulted as a rolling stop.

Hand drill and disk sanding the entire truck. Light gray spray-can primer.

An out-in-the country local painter in his garage shop= compressor spray painting,

I selected 1965 Chev light yellow with black (the orig Volkswagon type) wheels, and '38 style entire-wheel-covered/center-chrome hubcaps, black barrel-nose grill. It looked conservatively sharp!

Sold the truck for $1,500, advising the buyer about the brakes, as he listened to the V8.

It was a good-steering enjoyable truck.

* Upon seeing my first post re pickup tailpipes receiving no responses, I did the second post, same info different caption. I truly wanted pickup owners to be aware & wary.

Pat
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote