Thread: Engine upgrade
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #17
Gene F

Default Re: Engine upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
From the perspective of an engine rebuilder, it is WAY easier to install a high-compression head at a later date than it is to install larger intake valves. If your budget is tight, opt for a new cam followed by the bigger valves. The high compression head can come later if you feel it is needed.

Worth noting, I personally feel the biggest bang for your buck in the performance department is camshaft. Then comes a high compression head. Using a Stipe IB330 camshaft helps the engine think it has more compression because of a tighter centerline (lobe separation) and adds torque to the lower RPMs. It also raises the lift from 0.287" to 0.330" advertised. Most reground Model-A camshafts have the torque band curve raised which does not allow the engine to pull well unless it is revved up. That was not how the Model-A engine was originally designed.

I have had both the 3/4 Winfield, and the touring grind cam in my car. The 3/4 cam gave more speed, but not enough torque. I now have a fresh engine with the IB-30 cam, and the big valves. All of these had a Brumfield head. I have a Borg Warner 33% overdrive unit, heavy duty radiator, and cast iron brake drums. I also have a B intake, and B carb. I am eager to get the engine in, get it broke in, and see how it does. High compression heads lower the operating temp, and as far as I can tell the touring grind cam was a waste of time. FYI: I have a 28, so my car has the taller tire.

I drive my car. I want to go to the hardware store, I go in the A. I want to go to the golf course, I go in the A. Our local chapter has a trip, or an outing I go in the A.

My advice is get the thing to where it is reliable, and drive it within it's limits. But please drive it. A few well planned engine modifications, cast iron drum project, and a super heavy duty radiator make all the difference. If you can feel like you are driving it within it's limits, you will want to drive it, and that makes the car desirable. If possible talk with the guys in your local club, and ask them. Ask them to let you drive their car a little. They will let you! Then an informed decision can be made. Don't think about price. Think about the "package" that you want to end up with. Getting it right the first time is way cheaper. Every time you do an engine you should figure on about $5,000, so choices count.

An overdrive unit will always be smart money.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote