View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
DNLs1930

Default Re: Manifold heater question(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
My vote - A couple of spare condensers kept with your A is a lot cheaper/easier than a new exhaust manifold installed, which includes taking the intake manifold off and having them ground as a pair. Replace the condenser you have with a new one, keep the old one as a spare in the A so you have a known good spare. When ordering new ensure that it is the short proof, preferably one from A and L. Check with the vendor that it is A and L. I had a heater exhaust manifold, was talked into replacing it with a stock manifold when I had an exhaust leak, and now wished I had kept the old one. It is just something different that was a period accessory that helped make my A a little more unique than stock. If you go with the stock manifold keep the current one in case you change your mind in the future.

Balance my info with the info above from others in your area where heat is more of a factor than here in Wisconsin. Perhaps try my way, easy/not much cost/work, and if does not work out replace the manifold.

Agree the changing of the exhaust manifold is not my first choice as I can foresee leaks and or broken studs as I do not think this part has been off the engine in several decades as in maybe 5.... I have photos from when the car was removed from Grampas garage in 2007 after being locked away for 40 years from my HOTRODDING uncle who wanted to rip the fenders off in 1966... The manifold heater was installed in those pictures!!

I can either leave the cover off (which I will for now) and check into the heat resistant condenser and will be putting together a "road trip kit" which I would think points, coil and condenser would be required must haves... Thanks for the A&L recommendation as many here have pointed in their direction too.
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote