View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #6
Mac VP

Default Re: To those who've been there, original harness, am I fighting a loosing battle?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The first year I owned the 42 sedan I took it out to a couple cruise ins....the last one in the fall. When I got home and put it in the garage I opened the trunk to remove my folding chairs when I noticed a little spark where the license plate lamp wire went through a hole in the decklid. The insulation was brittle and falling off the wire. Naturally I disconnected the battery. Over the next days I went over all the wiring I could see. Aside from the repairs and splicing done by a previous owner, I kept finding more ancient and decaying wire insulation.

If it wasn’t for that little spark I might not have realized the potential fire hazard.....parked in my garage. So I decided to replace ALL the wiring. Yes it’s quite a project but the peace of mind was worth it. I did find that although there were multiple harnesses involved (and I bought them all) I still had to buy separate headlight and taillight sockets with pigtails to complete the job properly. The only wire I left disconnected was the one that feeds the overhead courtesy light.....I didn’t want to disturb my nice headliner. I tagged and insulated this one and left it tied off under the dash.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote