View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #29
GinRicky

Default Re: 1929 Fordor Briggs Running Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
One other thing to check other than ignition. Did you confirm that the exhaust isn't restricted? Something about idling well but slowly dying after the revs (and air flow/backpressure) are increased make me think plugged exhaust.

I don't know why the engine would be boiling hot after a minute of driving if it idles great indefinitely if the exhaust is clear. Even with the spark all the way up it shouldn't get that hot that fast. Based on everything else the engine sounds pretty healthy
Well, there isn't any exhaust. At the start there were the remains of the complete system, but it finally gave up the ghost and fell off the manifold after the first good sustained run. I simply pulled the whole shattered remains out from under the car with a single good tug.

I still have flush in the radiator, which is by no means in what anyone would call good condition. I'm still going to drain it though and add proper coolant and a pack of GM coolant tabs for good measure. Those things are great and don't cause damage. There is coolant flow, however, and I lean toward there not being a short term problem as long as the vehicle is moving.
GinRicky is offline   Reply With Quote