View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #28
GinRicky

Default Re: 1929 Fordor Briggs Running Again

I do wish my old friend and neighbor Richard (Dick) Wiley were still around to have seen this. Dick grew up in Versailles, KY working on Model As in his father's auto garage. Later owned an engine shop in Miami for 30 years. Man was a machinist, engine builder, general savant of things mechanical. Still did machine work on the side into his 70s. WWII vet. Built toy steamboats as a kid, really the definition of the guy that "forgot more than you will ever know". He helped me fix my first car in the driveway when I was a teen and we stayed close friends until he died. Been gone for 15 years. For the UK members, he had property in Ireland, though I no longer recall where.

Perhaps I did feel him on my shoulders just a bit, pressing me to do it right.

"Old Iron", is how he would sometimes refer to the cars I liked, and still drive today. A 1977 Ford LTD with 65K and a 351W is my daily driver currently. Original black paint still shines up like a mirror, thanks to the original Canadian owners that apparently worshipped the thing. Original dealer sticker is still in excellent condition on the deck lid. $2700 on Craigslist with 57K at the time and he'd take 25 when I called...I said yes, please!! Crazy thing still had a taint of new car smell in it, spotless cloth upholstery. Like driving around in a time capsule.

Last edited by GinRicky; 05-16-2020 at 12:02 AM.
GinRicky is offline   Reply With Quote