View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
tubman

Default Types of 6 volt sealed beam headlights

I have been following the thread about 6 volt LED headlight bulbs for the earlier cars with some interest. I have a later model (1951) that has it's original 6 volt system and regular incandescent sealed beam headlights. This has piqued my interest, and I am wondering if there is an upgrade for my car as well. Instead of "hi-jacking" that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

After about an hour long internet search, I have come to the conclusion that no one makes a 6 volt 7" LED sealed beam (yet). Even if someone did, if they are anything like the 12 volt units available, they would be "funny looking" and I wouldn't like them on my car. What I did come across was a plethora of 6 volt 7" halogen sealed beams. From what I can gather, these light use about 75% of the wattage of regular incandescent. They also produce a better quality light and last twice as long as regular incandescents. I checked the popular auction site, and find that you can get a pair of them for less that $30 (including shipping). On top of everything else, from pictures I have found, they look almost identical to the regular sealed beams. I believe that anything that would reduce the load on the generator and electrical system in general would be a plus.

For the price, I think I'm going to order a set for my car. Has anyone here had experience with these? Do they work and look as good as they appear to in the advertisements? I would appreciate any and all feedback.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote