Thread: Oil grooves
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Oil grooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhoff View Post
Brent, thanks for sending the drawings ! Do you have ‘m for the middle and front mains also ? And, if it’s not too much trouble ... the big end bearings ?

Going through the trouble of pulling the engine in a - what I believed - freshly restored car, is urging to do things right this time.

Is there any proof early bearings didn’t have grooves (my engine is early 29) ? The engine ran about three hours and I can spot some wear already (the shiny spots).
What would you do ? Put grooves in or not ?

Thx for the help,

Henk
For about three hours in total
What I would do is not fair to ask because it would be a simple fix for me since I already have the tooling. Using a micro-grinder and a carbide bur is very tedious, so that changes the game totally IMO.

As for spotting wear, in all liklihood, the bearings were not burnished when the crankshaft was being fitted, so high spots are likely to be found, and that is what you are seeing being worn. Also remember, when the carbide bur is cutting the bearing, it will make the edges be proud anyway so I would recommend if you are going to cut them, you also run the engine on a stand to wear the high areas and then re-clearance the bearings prior to installation in the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Were the OEM oil grooves in a crisscross pattern?
Bob, I don't think so. The prints that I have all show the same one-direction pattern, ...and if you use the tool such as the KR Wilson to cut them, it only cuts in the one direction. I also have some pouring mandrels that have the shape made into the mandrel so when the bearing is cast, it will form the groove for you during the casting process.

Feel free to give me your opinion too on the grooves, but I am of the mindset where the grooves are only there to refill the wells on each side mostly when the engine is not operating, ...and it is the micro-scratches on the journal pins that actually catch as it enters thru the drain tube and then disperses that oil around the bearing while the crankshaft is rotating. Naturally I am certain that the crankshaft pin picks up some oil from the grooves as it rotates, but I'm not sure how much.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote