View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: The Battery Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
I'm looking at a Schumacher heavy-duty 6 volt battery charger/engine starter do you guys have luck with those if the battery is really dead ??
Lots of suppliers say they won't ship some of these chargers to California, man I am getting frustrated living in this liberal state...…(that's not where I want to take this thread)….. Just looking for good solid advice on how to keep a 6 volt battery alive for at least 3 or 4 years without constantly having the trickle charger on it ………… what do you use then ?????
I have not used the Schumacher, use NOCOs and Black and Decker

Sometimes you can get sulfated batteries that can not be charged with the new smart chargers to work by either jumping them for a few minutes with a good battery, or by using the old style non-smart chargers - gets them to take a little bit of a charge/voltage. Then switch over to a smart repair/de-sulfating charger, sometimes takes several cycles with a smart charger.

Sometimes the battery is too far gone, can not be saved.

The older non-smart chargers are getting very hard to find, not sure why, just know the smart chargers do not use a step down transformer - Cost, or perhaps EPA reasons, or legislation? I've noticed that used non-smart chargers are rising in price on the internet and at farm auctions.

I know you said no to a full time charger. I buy inexpensive ones, hook them up to a cheap timer on a power strip and set it for 5-15 minutes every day. Put the chargers and batteries in a metal tray on the garage floor spaced away from anything flammable. Am paranoid about leaving batteries charging unattended.

Perhaps ship the new desired charger to a relative out of state or have them purchase it, and then they can ship to you? Not sure if that is legal.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 10-13-2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: sp
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote