View Single Post
Old 11-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Default Re: Troubleshooting Transmission '47 pickup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the votes of confidence! Prior to this transmission situation I spent 3 days cleaning and organizing my narrow 'side shop' 14'x 28' into a sort of engine work space and am now looking into insulating and heating this room off the main garage. In the past it was used for an overflow area for the woodworking business, where we had a duplicate table saw and planer and some needed lumber storage. That was in the era of 3 or 4 employees. Now it's just me and the original woodshop is plenty. My thought was to build that long anticipated 255 8ba for the woodie this winter. I have most of what I need with the exception of pistons and rod bearings. My crank cleaned up at .010/.020. Would the added torque of this 255 over my 221 be enough to help me ease off nicely in first gear? Today I back out of the garage, point the rear downhill and start out cold up a rather steep incline. It requires some clutch slip which involves some serious and annoying 'judder'. Yes, I'm guilty of not having the flywheel machined, combined with the use of recycled engine mounts gleaned from a 3lb coffee can. I won't make these errors again. Moving in this direction I could rebuild my 3 speed, surface flywheel, new mounts (from where?) and spend the 2 grand on the engine parts and machine work instead of the T-5, adaptor/clutch/driveshaft mods. OOOH, maybe dual exhausts.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote