View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Mode A Piston expander/ knurling tool to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR500 View Post
I own a Perfect Circle Nurlizer machine. I collected it as strictly a conversation piece and in case some pistons for which there not have been a reasonably priced replacement. Nurlizing was even suggested for new pistons as it tightened up the clearance and provided a place for lubricating oil to slide in the bores. As for all the good advice these previous gentleman have given, they are right on the money. Don't judge or predict what the real problem may be. Loose wrist pins, bent rods, ill fitting pistons, worn rings. A set of new pistons with fitted wrist pins and new rings along with proper fitting in the cylinders, a rebore may be needed, and you will be money ahead.
Interestingly, when I got my new pistons, in the instructions it suggested that if the piston/wall clearance was over spec to knurl the pistons to achieve the proper clearance. During my research, among those that supported the use of knurling (in the right circumstance) at least one that I recall said that "back in the day" he used to knurl new pistons as a matter of practice on his race engines for the added lubrication and piston cooling achieved by the knurling.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote