View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 12:00 AM   #81
OldGold360

Default Re: 1936 Pickup bed floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
I purchased a 1936 pickup bed from Mack Hils and yes it needed work. My bodyman and I made corrections, and since we didnt have metal working tools, we made it work. Since I had an original bed in which the bodyman looked at and made an estimate for labor involved to make it resemble what it should be--- I saved about $3000 by purchasing a reproduction bed and relocating the 2nd and 3rd body mounts and cutting the carriage bolts holes.
Money well saved and I and the bodyman are quite happy with the results.

If you can do the repair -- go for it. If you want it done quicker, purchase reproduction and make the necessary repairs. Please note: I did send documented pictures and measurements to Mack Hils and they have made changes in their production.
There are also those guys that insist on original steel. I think most prefer this, but new can be a good route and look just as good if the pieces are correct. When did you submit the correct dimensions to Mack Hils?

While we are on the subject… I also purchased new stake pockets from Mack Hils and they too needed quite a bit of work to fit the original bedsides including extending some areas that were too short. I also machined tooling to stamp in the raised mounting section for the tailgate latch brackets on the rear stake pockets since these were absent on Macks.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote