View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
frank55a

Default Re: Engine Number No Stars

By the numbers apparently the engine was produced in September of 29. The stamped numbers also appear to be the correct style for the period, i.e., correct stamps. The picture is not clear enough but the surface where the numbers are stamped looks like it has a casting surface, specifically the surface was not ground or machined. From what I can see based on the picture I would say those are the original numbers to that engine, however the engine may not necessarily be original to the frame. Since the number starts with an "AA" I would say at some point in the past the engine was replaced. I understand that all engines that were intended to go into vehicles had stars at the beginning and end of the serial number. However, I also understand that there were engines produced as spare parts and for commercial use that did not have a number and these engines depending on the use were stamped at the dealership when the engine was placed in the vehicle, which may explain "no stars".

Note: The last time at I replaced the engine in my 29 Tudor we rebuilt one of these standard bore replacement stock unstamped engines that was never used.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote