View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 08:49 AM   #6
Model "A" Fords

Default Re: 1930 Radiator Shell Hood Hinge Retainer (A-8220-A) Finish

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
As I understand it now, these clips were originally chrome plated. I am pretty sure the method was no polishing of the part and then only flash-plated. This explains why many (i.e: most) of them are rusty on original shells.

The commercial shells used the same retaining bracket however it was painted Black in lieu of the flash plating. Bob, I have a large stack of 30 & 31 shells which all have the steel retainer, which would lead to to believe they were all stamped from steel. The revisions in the parts kinda lean towards that mindset also.

The reproduction shells have their retainer stamped from stainless.

Brent, I found a drawing of the clip which dates 1927, 28 and 29. It shows the part made from 14 gauge Cold rolled Open hearth Carbon steel. No indication of polishing ( probably tumbled) with a Chromium finish as you mentioned, to stand a 50 hr salt bath without rust.

I don't have anything for 30-31 but looks like the same part. Makes sense, as Henry wouldn't make a different part if he could use an existing one to save money.

To restore this simple part, it has to have the rivets, Chromium and rust removed, replated and riveted back on. Sounds easy enough!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote