View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 03:20 PM   #18
Fordestes

Default Re: I am now a model A owner,

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Interesting to know why the engine was being pulled. Pull it apart. If the bearings are good you may get away with a re-ring and some exhaust valves to get it going. Will run at about 50 lbs compression. Then I'd be spending the cash on new brakes. Several thousands worth. Then if the engine is no good buy a new Burtz block with cam, head, crank, and flywheel and avoid vibrations and block cracks.
I visited with the deceased owners son in law and he told me what he could remember , the p/o said it was using too much oil and he wanted to make it right, the old man owned a few old fords and they sold all but this A, it was supposed to go to another person according to his will, but the other person also was deceased and the old car just sat in a shipping container with trees grown up around it over the almost 40 years, it seem the p/o used the cars to promote his tire and auto businesses and he liked to build them ,all said the old A was kept inside for the many many years the old man owned it and hardly driven except for special occasions, from what I can tell and others who are more into model A's the car has original sheet metal , the only parts I cannot find are the rear view mirrors, I have laid out all the parts that were removed and had others look it over and it seems to be a good candidate for a driver car or one to bring up to show quality, the underside does not have any rust as far as we can tell, The engine will turn and the brakes worked when we were towing it down to where we could load it on the trailer, when I was a kid I had a 30 roadster, my late father got rid of it because I kept getting out on the county roads ,not being old enough to get a license. later on I bought an old ford truck which I still own today (over 55 plus years). no doubt this A is the one I have been longing for for over a half century, I realize what you all are saying and I totally agree, these cars and many other older cars are mostly for people who want to and can repair them and not for someone in a hurry to get where they need to be. you all have been very concise on the points of old car ownership and as always I am proud to be a part of the Barn, I will try and find a 10 year old to post some pictures for me , that car was a deal I could not pass up especially after seeing the prices the piles of rusted sheet metal are selling for lately, it seems to me the model A prices tend to fluctuate somewhat over the years but lately they have climbed like everything else , Many thanks again for your input.
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote