View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Mig or Tig welder...

I did a lot of MIG work. First on a 66 Mustang and then started on the cabriolet. Mid way through the cabriolet I had been drooling over what I had seen done with TIG and stumbled into this huge old Miller 330A/BP TIG welder for cheap ($600). Even with the start run relay wired backwards it still was so much nicer. Now with the foot pedal actually working the precise work I can do is out of this world.

When looking for a welder understand a cheap low end welder can work, usually the setting you need is between the settings you can set. A better welder is easier to use and gives you more options. For a TIG welder I have only used a High Freq start, some have a touch start. I know some have modified the Harbor Freight low end TIG to have a foot pedal which changes how useful it can be.

The proper accessories makes a difference. Going to a instant dark hood did wonders for my welding. As I approached 40 my close up sight went away and found the cheater lenses (magnifying lenses) that you buy at the welding store made a huge difference.

All the welding knowledge is useless if you do not understand what happens with metal when you weld it. In particular you must understand that any weld is a shrink point and must be corrected with hammer on dolly work. See my website for hints.

A final note. If you go to Tin Man Tech you will find he talks about and sells some micro oxy act torches that get closer to the control of TIG for less money.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote