View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Curt Campbell

Default Re: Mig or Tig welder...

I have been welding for over 50 years....I am 63. I was a certified high pressure steam line welder (1200 and 600 lb) in the Navy. I did gas before MIG was cool. Did TIG after TIG was cool. If you take the time to learn and understand what is happening with heat, you can do an excellent job of welding with either TIG or MIG. TIG has a higher learning curve in my opinion. I have a large Miller MIG welder, it is great for heavier work. I have a Lincoln SP100 110v MIG welder and use argon....it does a spectacular job on sheet metal. The large Miller machine cannot hold a candle to the small Lincoln for sheet metal. I have welded patches and panels in every configuration imaginable...works well. TIG is even better IF the user UNDERSTANDS heat and its effect on metal. Preference with all things equal is TIG.

I recently used a new multifunction welder....it does TIG, MIG, and even electrode arc welding. I was very skeptical at first...but it is an amazing machine. Priced less than a grand. I am considering getting one shortly.

IMO, welding is more about the welder's skill level, understanding of the physics of heat and metal, and PATIENCE rather than the type of welding machine. It takes some time to learn to do it well...and it can be very frustrating for the new guy. I do not use gas any longer except for infrequent need for brazing.

How do you know when you have "arrived" as a good welder? When the panel is not warped and there is little need for much grinding or filler. Take your time and learn how. A couple friends of mine took some classes at a local junior college...got them off on the right foot.

Good luck!!!!

PS: Another tip....try using a strong light to illuminate the area you are welding. Easier to see exactly what your weld is looking like as you weld. For the new welder, it is hard to see what you are doing using the helmet with most light from the weld itself. Works for me anyway.
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote