View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #28
Tim Ayers

Default Re: No oil pressure on fresh rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopRod View Post
So, I did prime it with a qt of oil, had the plugs removed and cranked it over with the starter and no oil pressure was built up. . I knew then the engine had to come back out of the car. So got to work on that to get access to the rear idler gear. Pulled the cover and what do you know, I had it on backwards! I was relieved to find the issue at this point and gladly accepted that I had made a mistake. There was some wear on the idler gear and the cam gear, but just barely. I cleaned it all up and then used an old electric fuel pump to circulate oil from the oil pan into the oil sending unit port. It worked ok and filled the oil galleys with oil. I also spun the oil pump gear with my finger and it built pressure and spilled out of the rear cam bearing all over the floor.
I drained the oil through a white cloth and viewed any debris after draining. just some small discoloration and white assembly lube. I then pulled the truck pan clean out cover and looked around and all looked OK. Feel pretty good that no harm was done. Will work on reassembly of everything and get this thing fired up.

Congrats on sticking to it and figuring out the problem. Very happy to hear that it seems like no damage was done.

Get her wrapped up and back in and please report back once its in, fired up and driving around
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote