View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #22
HopRod

Default Re: No oil pressure on fresh rebuild

"Did you fail to pack the oil pump with Vaseline or light grease?" Used assembly lube.

robib
What brand camshaft did you use? Just did a rebuild and had no oil pressure after awhile. Turned out it was the gear that is pressed on the rear of the cam for the oil pump. Did not have the proper interference fit and was slipping. It was an Isky cam. Can be checked at the back of the engine, if the engine is not installed. ------ It is a Tatum designed cam ground by Schneider. The drive gear seemed secure when installed.

Automotive Stud
Hope it's not this but I had it happen to me. Idler gear behind the flywheel was installed backwards so it wasn't meshing with the oil pump. Pulled the oil pump and was able to reach the idler with a long screwdriver to see that it was freewheeling, had to pull the motor to correct it.
05-02-2022 05:44 AM---------That is a pretty logical explanation. I hope my problem is just a priming issue, but this makes sense. I'd be pretty upset with myself for making that mistake, but would never happen again.

I have a mechanical Stewart Warner gage that has been verified as working. I am going to pull the plugs, put some oil down the rear oil sensor port again and spin it over with the starter to see if I get any pressure. If none, then out comes the motor and will check the idler gear. If not that, then off comes the oil pan to pull the pump. I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for all the ideas and help. You guys are the best!
HopRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)