View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #13
shew01

Default Could a bad tachometer make a Model A hard to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I plan to put one of the other coils back in the car and adjust the points wider to see if that makes a difference with either of those coils. I'd like to determine what caused the issue in the first place.
Several days ago, I disconnected the tachometer, and the car started right away, with no other changes. I also swapped the Pertronix coil with the two other coils I had on the shelf that I have been using for testing, and the car started right away with each of them as long as the tachometer was not connected. (Those two coils were really struggling to get the car started when the tachometer was connected to them.) So, apparently, the tachometer is robbing enough power to keep the car from having sufficient spark to start easily. I called the tachometer vendor, and the the guy (who was extremely nice and knowledgeable) said that can sometimes happen if the tachometer’s inducing coil (I think that is what he called it) starts to go bad. The tachometer is under warranty; so, I’m shipping it back for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 12-21-2020 at 05:15 AM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote