View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Question about carb needle valve preference

Here's from a thread I started on another car site. I installed this heat shield about 10 days ago, and it has made a world of difference. No more boiling fuel problems. Someone posted a picture of the nice heat shield they had made for their Model A, and it helped them with boiling fuel problems also. I'll be buying more of this stainless plate so I can make one for my Model A, just in case I get stuck with crap gas sometime.

Carb Heat Shield is a Big Help
In the 60's and 70's when my Studebakers were my only cars I never had fuel related problems, but today's gas boils at a lower temperature and has caused me problems with hot restarts and when the car sets for more than a couple days. If I stopped for a few minutes the heat would boil the fuel in the carb and I'd have to crank a lot to get the engine restarted. BTW, I only use the better gas without the corn crap, unless I'm far from home and can't find the good gas.

I made this heat shield from a thin sheet of stainless steel, and got it installed just in time to go on tour with the club last Saturday. This has made a big improvement in hot and cold restarts. Yesterday the 1950 Champion fired right up after setting since Saturday, and again it started right away after several short stops. Also notice the split white plastic tubing I slipped over the fuel line from the pump to the carb. I like white because it reflects the heat more than black.

The Tee fitting by the carb is a small copper line running to a low pressure gauge I hung off the bottom of the dash, so I can monitor fuel pressure until I'm sure everything is finally working right. I'll probably just leave it on until I reinstall my mechanical pump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stude Heat Shield 1.jpg (59.1 KB, 79 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote