View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #12
CT Jack

Default Re: Installing New Connecting Rods

Thanks for all the tips. Yes, I ran the 1st 12K miles with a Nu-Rex auto advance but I am certain I didn't run the engine with a 36 + degree advance. I think the engine would knock something terrible at that setting.
I have decided to pull the engine, go all the way and have the the job done correctly. I talked with a nearby Mass. engine rebuilder today and they said more than likely the babbit was improperely poured due to too low of a part temperature which created poor bonding.
My plan is to have the crank inspected, reground if necessary, rebabbited, and align bored. Install new insert connecting rods, install new rings, hone cyclinders, and rebalance. The valves are SS with hardened seats and single piece bronze guide bushings which appear to be in excellent condition. If the cam is not to spec I will either have it reground to a touring type or replace it.
I like to drive my "A" long distances on mostly secondary roads. This requires maintaining the engine well otherwise serious problems can occur which takes all the fun out of touring in a Model A.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote