View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Caution for Drivers using Auto Restorations T5 Kit

Last year we had a vehicle come to us from Kentucky where a Model-A mechanic there talked the owner into installing this kit. In my opinion, this was a real cobble-job.

What brought all this on was there was a huge vibration which we traced to an input shaft adapter that was supplied in the kit to lengthen the input shaft to compensate for the clutch housing length. It allowed the input shaft to spin randomly off center, AND the adapter was too long so it was pressing against the crankshaft (I suspect the crank thrust is not long for this world now!). I just wound-up machining a new one. The rear radius rods on this vehicle had a bow in them too so we straightened them in a press, and then used 26/27 Model-T radius rods cut-down and grafted on so the looked authentic.

Oh BTW, this "Model-A expert" up there convinced the owner that to correct the driveline vibration issue that they should install Float-A-Motor mounts. So now this is a vehicle with a torch-cut center crossmember, and a set of F-A-M mounts. One can only shake their head in amazement!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote