View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #43
38 coupe

Default Re: Thoughts/Opinions on Piston Rings

Bored&Stroked, I think you provide a great example of the difference in intended engine use. Your motors all seem to be on the high performance street to full race end of the scale. You are probably much more interested in power above 3,000 rpm than torque off idle. Therefore you choose forged pistons, thin rings, specific rod bearings, cam profile, port work, magneto, etc. to maximize the higher rpm performance.

I am interested in maximizing comfortable touring with a totally stock appearance. My logic is to maximize torque from idle to around 2,800 rpm. I don't care if the engine falls flat on its face at 3,000 rpm. Stock Ford camshaft and 8BA valves, merc crank, small overbore on 3 3/16 block, stock heads surfaced to achieve 0.050 above the piston, stock intake, 3.78 or 4.11 rear ratio with overdrive for me. Given my use there is no point in any other than cast pistons with cast iron rings.

I do really appreciate all you share with us though. For example, I recently went and found a new set of std cadmium-silver Federal-Mogul bearings (~$40 sold government surplus on ebay!) for use with a stroker crank use because information you posted.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote