View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 12:17 AM   #106
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here it is 9:00 sunday night. My good wife was watching 'call the midwife' on PBS. I excused myself to go down to the shop and install my backing plates and then the wheel cylinders. Well, the backing plates went ok for the most part, except the square head bolts had a mind of their own and I couldn't live with them until they were aligned with the universe. Then came the amazon wheel cylinders. The left side went well, but I had lost the 5/16 coarse short bolts for the right. I dumped out thje coffee can of 5/16 and they were all too long. I found One that was short. The others were too long and I used them like studs. Threaded a 5/16 nut up the stem, placed a lockwasher on it and into the wheel cyl. But wait, no matter what, this side was drilled a bit off from the backing plate. While I was was ovaling out the holes on the backing plate with a chain saw file the missus shows up and says it's been two hours...... Really.... 4 bolts on each backing plate and 3 bolts (instead of Henry's 4) for the brake cylinders. Everything was cleaned and painted and ready to thread together. I guess if it all went like clockwork, it wouldn't be a hobby. Sort of like if they gave you a detailed view of what each piece in a jigsaw puzzle looked like with the box. Of course we all know it's way better than guys that stay at the bar two hours too long. She's a really good egg. She just sort of shakes her head in wonderment.Perhaps it isn't wonderment......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote