View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #12
rotorwrench

Default Re: 32 Ford Fuel Tank

I've used MEK for many years in the aviation business. It will remove some coatings but won't touch others. It didn't work on one of the sealers I tried it on. Acetone did work. It just depends on what sealant coating it is I guess.

I'm building one good 29 model A fuel tank out of two crusty ones right now. No one has ever reproduced these and most are rusty. They have to be cut apart to clean & repair them properly due to the internal baffles. I'm seriously thinking of using aircraft hardware to put it back together so that I can use aircraft fuel tank sealer and can open it back up in the future in case it ever leaks. I'm using the same techniques that are used for wet wing airplanes. It should last longer than I will. These things were made from 16 gauge pressings. I think Ford had at least 16 presses dedicated to their manufacture plus the complicated rotary resistance welding system to weld the seems. These were only two small places where one of them was welded by hand to finish seams in a difficult spot in the front outer bottom corners

The fabrication process was so complicated that I don't think they will ever be reproduced. The 1932 tanks were a way lot easier to construct for Ford. The complicated fuel quantity system was the most difficult part.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-19-2022 at 09:57 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote