View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Kube

Default Re: 32 Ford Fuel Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter in NH View Post
I own an early production 32 5Win and recently discovered that the Bill Hirsch
tank sloshing agent I installed many years ago is blistering on the bottom of my
tank. I need some suggestions to find out if there's anything that can be done
to effectively dissolve most of the agent. I plan on removing the tank so as to
be more capable of working on it. I'm also interested in some input regarding
the possibility of installing a new reproduction tank. My car is a restored all
original Model B with a very rare, very early tank so I'm interested in finding
out how similar new tanks may be and any other possible issues that may have been encountered when attempting to replace an original with a reproduction
unit. I'm also interested in knowing if anyone would have an original restorable
tank I might buy.
My rather recent experience with a tank removed from my '31 Buick... Car sat for ten years with perhaps a half full tank. Some corrosion and a lot of Hirsch's sealer floating around.
The tank was very solid.

It took me four gallons (total) of acetone (as Rotorwrench had advised) to get the inside of the tank squeaky clean.
I'd placed two gallons in the tank with a 2' pieces of chain (1" links), sealed the openings and sloshed it all around. Let it sat on one side for twelve hours or so, sloshed it around and set the tank on another side for the next twelve hours. repeat....
Dumped this junk out and then, with compressed air, all openings "open" I blew inside the tank in any direction I could manage. When the poopy stopped blowing out, I'd dumped a fresh two gallons in the tank and repeated the entire process.
After the two applications, the tank appears as new inside. I have had zero issues since.

I did NOT apply any new sealer.
Oh, be certain to blow the fuel line(s) out thoroughly as well.