View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
fordcragar

Default Re: Model B transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Early B and V8 transmissions from 1932-33 at least had a low/rev shifter fork that had a slot for the shifter lever stub to fit into (as they all do) but it was easy to pop past that slot. Ford put an H shaped metal bracket into the shifter housing. It fit between the two shaft and provided a sort of guide or channel to keep the stub from popping away from this slot. Beginning in 1934 I think, they changed the 1st/Rev fork to add some metal to the fork....flat areas on each side of the fork' slot, which served the same purpose as the sheet metal guide. Plus much easier to install the forks and shafts without that guide. This picture shows a comparison of the two. If the guide is missing in your trans, and you have the B-7231 fork, it could be hopping out of that area and it would be difficult to get it back. Food for thought....
I'm fairly sure that my trans has the later shifting forks. Is it possible to see the guide while looking down the shifter hole? Do you have a picture of the guide or is it what I'm seeing on another shift tower that is hooked to the ends of the shift rails; which looks like a rod being suspended between the forks?
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote