View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Head Studs or bolts, which is better ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rat View Post
Studs are way better, more trouble but way better. Anybody that stears you toward bolts is lazy thats the only good explanation. On my aluminum heads (Sharp) I open the bolt holes up .015 with a step drill. I raced blown hemi's and chebby's for 30 years and a nitro hemi for 6 years and never had a head gasket problem...never! All with studs. My flatties are leak tight. I use aviation Permetex on the coarse end of the stud and screw them in by hand, double nut and lightly torque with a hand wrench, I use a little white lube on the fine end and high quality nuts and washers, Torque to 55 to 60 pounds is steps. Re-torque as often as they move.
I agree 100%. The change to bolts was a cost reduction by FoMoCo, both in manufacturing and in service. Many things changed at Ford after Henry passed away, and many were not for the better. I am convinced that anyone who was rebuilding these earlier engines (pre 8ba) with bolts did it because it was quicker, easier, and cheaper for them, not because they felt it was better. Overkill, I am sorry Ol Ron, I cannot agree with you on that one!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote