View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Default Re: Help Quick Fuel SL450SV & Y Block 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledu View Post
When I decided to buy it I read a lot, and many said that 465cfm is adequate. I also saw that the 57´ 312ci had that carburetor originally with jets of 55 in the primaries and 48 in the secondary ones. I know my carb is not the same as that 465cfm but the 60 jets in the secondaries won't be too much and is that why this happens?
Greetings!
A 400 to maybe 500 cfm 4 barrel carburetor with a vacuum operated secondary is not too big for a 292.

I agree, the color of the center of that spark plug indicates a 'lean' fuel /air mixture.

I may be assuming too much about your comment above but...
because of all the internal construction & operational differences, the jets in one brand and size of carburetor cannot be compared to the primary and secondary jet size in a different brand or model of carburetor.
They may be similar, but it is just as likely they are not.

A jet size that works well in one carburetor on an engine can be completely wrong in another brand or model carburetor on the same engine. The correct jetting in a particular carburetor is specific to the engine / carburetor combination and the altitude & other conditions in which the car is driven.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-07-2020 at 04:26 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote