View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
restomod

Default Hello from Upstate NY with my 1930 Model A

Hello there! I have taken ownership of the grandfather's 1930 Model A Truck, he is still around but has signed it over to me for safe keeping as he is 93 and doesn't drive it much anymore.

I have joined the national level club as well as the Sullivan Trail A's who are the closest club to me. I joined here last year but parked the truck and am just now getting it running. I am in the heart of kids and kids sports so my time is limited often.

Everyone has been super helpful any place I go online and I appreciate the time and patience you all have working with noobs and learning mechanics. The truck was not running when I got as my grandpa left it running over the winter last year and it melted some wiring.

With the help of @Jim.Morris2831 over the phone and through emails I have accomplished a lot for someone who didn't know a thing. With that said I am having an issue I could use help on.

I am in no way saying that new parts on this project are considered good in any way. So when I say I replaced something, doesn't mean I did it right or that the part may have been defective from the start.

I have replaced the Ignition switch, ignition cable traveling from the switch to the base of distro, the wiring from the switch to the coil +, the wire from the terminal to the coil -, the wires from the ammeter to the terminal box, and the coil itself. Also the lower plate was reused in the distro (brass tongue newer style), and I replaced the condenser on the top plate as well as changed to modern ford v8 style points. Also new cap modern style, new rotor, plug wires, as well as new wire from the top of the cap to the bottom of the coil.

Please don't kill me on the choices of modern versus not. I ordered all of this from Snyder's before I even understood what I was ordering. Someday down the road I will make changes based on actual experience and personal taste, but for now this is what I have to work with and I am just trying to get it running.

Here is where I am now, I thought that all my issues were going to be with timing the car but with the nu-wrench it seemed straight forward once Jim talked me of the ledge.

I got everything changed out and buttoned up, key is off, I hit the starter and I at least get it to turn over. Turn the key on, turn it over and no difference, does not start, cranks and cranks but will not start.

I have a test light, with the key off I have a light on both terminal nuts as well as both side of the coil posts. However if I take the coil wire that is coming out of the coil and set it near a bolt head I get no spark when turning it over. I mean 0 no matter what I try. I have two wires to try from the coil to the head and neither give spark so I don't think it's the wire. I took the wires off the coil and put them on the one that was in the car when I got it and tried to get spark at the block as well and nothing.

Any suggestions on testing/troubleshooting that will help me systematically eliminate issues? Like I said new doesn't really mean I trust it so I am all ears on the process to test each section. I have a test light and a volt meter if that helps. Go slow though as I am new to all the electrical bits.

Also I should mention if it helps that I have a fuse and it is fine since I started trying to start it, it is not blown. Second I don't seem to have a horn or lights which from watching videos seems bad.

Thanks for your time!
restomod is offline   Reply With Quote