View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Clutch Chatter & Flywheel run-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy green coupe View Post
I think Bill is on to something here. I have also had the experience of a new disc and pressure plate needing some wear to work smoothly. It was mentioned that the flywheel had grinding marks. When a good working clutch is taken apart the surfaces will be polished smooth. Chattering is caused by the surfaces trying to grab instead of slipping until the clutch is fully engaged. Compatability of the surface finish and the lining material is critical to smooth operation much like disc brake rotors. I would try to improve the finish on the flywheel and pressure plate and clean well and break it in like Bill said.

As someone that has worked on alot of stuff over the years I have to say you can really make yourself crazy if you get too carried away with dial indicators and micrometers and such. These cars are very simple and can tolerate alot of runout or imbalance and still function pretty well. Most problems like this ultimately trace back to china and subpar aftermarket parts.
This vehicle has about 2,000 miles since a frame-up restoration and the problem is still there, -so I'm not sure Bill's thoughts are truly applicable in this situation, as surely it has been driven enough to cure this by now. Additionally, can you imagine the response that a new Ford owner would get it they brought their new Ford automobile back due to chatter and the mechanic told them to use Bill's method to repair it?

I also want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You are saying that 'chatter' is caused by rough surfaces? I can believe that a 'grabbing' clutch would be caused by this but not one that shudders. My experiences with a shuddering or chattering clutch has been that the disc is not within the centerline of the spinning flywheel which causes the disc to momentarily spin eccentrically until it can work itself to be concentric. Generally the causes of this is any one or combination of a worn input shaft tip, a worn pilot bearing, a worn front transmission bearing, or a grossly misaligned flywheel housing, HOWEVER generally speaking, when those symptom are found, the transmission will generally jump out of 2nd or High gear on deceleration. This vehicle did not do this, which is partially why we have been puzzled. You may very well be right, but I guess I need to think on that one for a day or two.

So based on thoughts above, it seems most feel like it is the clutch disc. I will look it over on Monday to see if something is obviously wrong. I am pretty sure I do not have a copy of a print of the disc, ...and even at that I would specifically need several prints including the hub, and the plate itself. I am wondering if the repro discs that are having issues are found to have too large of tolerances in the hub area where the disc has a sloppy fit on the main gear (input) shaft splines? I am wondering exactly is different causing them to chatter?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)