View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
Tom Endy

Default Re: Volvo vs. Mitchell Over-Drive - who has what?

There is also a Ryan overdrive. I have one in my Victoria. It is a 23% with a 378 ring & Pinion. I also had one in a 29 coupe I once owned; it was a 33% with a 411 ring & pinion. The Ryan is a factory made overdrive manufactured by the Dan Ryan Company of Denver. They were manufactured between 1990 and 2000. They subsequently went out of business.

The Ryan is a very well built overdrive that bolts right up to the banjo flange. They came in both 33% and 23%. Inside is four heavy duty straight cut gears that stay in mesh. When shifted two gears are locked and the other two rotate. A shift lever accomplishes the shifting the same as a Mitchell overdrive.

The gears are not syncro-mesh, but shifting into overdrive is accomplished without double clutching. Coming out of overdrive requires double clutching. The Ryan is considered noisy by many. The sound is actually a "singing" sound caused by the straight cut gears. After a while you get use to it and it is not a problem.

The Ryan overdrive can be used with any of the gears of the transmission; very good for climbing a grade in second gear overdrive, or coming down a steep grade as it enables engine braking.

The number built was probably in the thousands. They are still around. Bert's in Denver was one of the retailers at the time.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote