View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #18
52Allard

Default Re: Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
A Mercury 99A block is not easy to find - and I'm not sure if that block was actually produced in Canada or the USA. I have a 99A type block in my 32 Cabriolet. Back in the day, this block was considered one of the best to build for performance usage - though I personally don't see it as any better than a good 59x 239 block.

Given the cost of finding original parts and then building an Ardun - is that on your table, or is it in the "someday dream" category? Your car should have a real Ardun in it.
As far as the engine block goes - I think the block did come out of Canada and the big reason is that import duty to England was very high after WWII but not so bad from the British Commonwealth. I know that Allard used lots of reconditioned WWII surplus so that could also be possible and it was just a leftover but the 99A was supposed to be a '48 block so not new in the '50s but not a leftover from the war. It may not be possible to find the right block but that's what i'd like to try. I know where there is an old Z block which wouldn't be the worst substitute since Allard did use old war surplus engines.

And, yes I'm definitely going to go for the Ardun engine in the car. It has a 390 Cadillac now which runs and is pretty cool but not as cool as the Ardun.
52Allard is offline   Reply With Quote