View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #12
1crosscut

Default Re: Winterizing a Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Winterising the car amuses me. Our winters are mild enough that is isn't necessary but I am left scratching my head when you talk of antifreeze. I have read in several places that Glycol is a no no in engines with babbit bearings. If any gets into the oil, you have a big problem but if the bearings are babbit, you have a disaster. It will dissolve the metal and ruin the bearings, I have read. I never use it. I use an anti corrosion, lubricating additive I guess is available over there but I don't know under what name it would be marketed. It is made in the US so you must be able to get it. It is sold here under the name Cyclo. (They have a whole range of excellent products I heartily recommend and no, I have no connection with the company.)
We are in the depth of winter right now and can't use the Model As because of the lockdown anyway. It will be spring at least by the time we can get out so the cars are taking it easy out there in the garage.
I've read a lot of postings where folks say that. Personally I think that it isn't the glycol that harms the bearings but the lack of lubrication that is caused by the coolant it being either a glycol mix or just plain water displacing the oil from the moving parts.