Thread: Simmons carb
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Simmons carb

I run a cast iron Simmons on my sept . 29 . I mostly just clean them up , paint them and run them . I'm not sure if any parts are available . I would maybe try Renners corner . I have used some Zenith parts that will fit if necessary . I use the Zenith bowl gasket and add a hole for the power passage . The needle valve and seat can usually be cleaned up . Some have good luck using tooth paste as a cleaning-polishing compound for the needle and seat . I know that there are at least two styles of needle and seat assemblies and they won't interchange . Simmons made both cast iron and alloy versions that looked similar . The alloy version had smaller jets and was designed for better gas mileage . The cast iron version was more of a performance carb . The cast iron Simmons carburetors are well made with thicker cast than any of the Zenith carbs . The Alloy version can suffer the same problems as other pot metal carbs like warpage at the flange where it connects to the intake manifold . I prefer the Simmons cast iron carbs over the Zenith 1&2 carbs . The only reason that I haven't run Simmons cast iron carbs on any of my dual updraft setups is because of their weight . Western Auto use to handle them , They also offered a alloy version with a Wizard name plate riveted to the upper carb .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)