View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: car died, starts later

Hi Still,

Our local barber and his father-in-law both had outside-parked, non-restored, 1929 Model A Tudors, where prior to a rain, as a kid, I noticed they both always covered their top-hinged, hood joints with an oil cloth.

I remember when I asked why ....... both responded to prevent no-starts after heavy rains dripped drops of water on the coil wire, which flowed downward where the coil wire connected to the top distributor cap thus creating a short.

Then I noticed when I got my 1930 coupe, it had new coil wire rubber boots; but I never had this same problem of no-starts or engine dying; however, on top of my coil was an inverted baby food can.

I asked the former owner why ..... he responded the top of coils held water and caused the top of the coils to rust out, so when the tops of the baby food cans rusted, he just changed baby food cans.

These are actual "original", Model A events, prior to today's Restoration Forum Stories.

Problem today is trying to explain to young Model A owners ........ what is an oil cloth? .... and what is, or what size was a baby food can? ..... because Gerber's switched to baby food glass jars.

Moral of the story: Not all Model A's ever were alike ...... or ........ are still all alike!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote