View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #70
jim galli

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

A story with a picture. This is from 4 days ago. When my girls were growing up (b 1980, 81, 83) I bought a '29 roadster out of a barn in Lake Tahoe. It had been the camp car at a girls camp up there since 1932. Bought from the son of the original owner.

The motor was stuck but we took the head off and loosened things up and put it back together. On it's maiden voyage (1988) my middle girl, 7 yrs old said, Dad does this car run on wood. There was a distinct smell of wood smoke coming from the muffler. After a few good backfires, the rats nest and pine nuts were dislodged. I didn't restore it. It was just as it was, the last time they had used it at the camp. Duties included bringing firewood home in the rumble during those mid years so it was a little tired looking but, pleasantly so.

We had lovely family outings and memories in that car. My 3 girls gave me back 6 boys. And it was about 5 years ago that they started pestering me to get another model A. They wanted the grandsons to have some of the same experiences they had loved. Of course I said; "You're killing me." And about 5 minutes later found this roadster up on the top coast of California on a ranch.

Now it's doing it's duty, this picture was taken last monday out on "Mud Lake" east and south of Tonopah. We drove down in the cool of evening as the sun was setting. Extremely rough 4WD road, about 13 miles down to the dry lake. Shift a thousand times, and one particularly bad ditch that would have broken the axle immediately if there was a bowtie on the front instead of an oval. She's a digger, and out we came again without much trouble.

The silence and beauty of that dry lakebed in the middle of nowhere is just incredible. The car is bonnie gray, but the late hour, sun had been down for 20 minutes, turned it this beautiful color. We made it home fine with headlamps glowing. My 14 year old and 7 year old grandsons, Rowan and Oliver were along for the adventure, with their mom, my middle girl, Tina. That's Oliver in the rumble seat. In one of the most beautiful places on earth, looking at an I-pad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1365.JPG (100.5 KB, 70 views)

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote