View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #31
History

Default Re: misdiagnosis based on assumptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Breaking an axle is not so uncommon. It has never happened to me but I know of two people who have had their cars delivered home over the issue. I haven't seen them for a while now but the vendors used to carry a bracket that was supposed to stop the wheel departing for its own destination when the axle broke. They wouldn't do that if the failure wasn't fairly common, IMO
I've broken three axles, two were on a 2 ton truck hauling silage. We had a trench silo instead of an upright. It had concrete sides and was on flat ground so when we would dump we had to eventually back up a ramp made out of chopped up corn silage. You get a run at it but those trucks were slow in reverse so you didn't carry much momentum. When you slipped the tire you had to immediately hit the clutch as it hopped when it spun. It was tricky and I was young, thirteen maybe. My dad would preach to me how to do it (preach isn't the right word ) but when you're that young and inexperienced you break an axle now and then. .

The next and last axle I broke,, I was on a gravel road late one night just joy riding and it was really cold. Water had ran across the road and froze. I spun when I hit the ice and gassed it a little never thinking about the traction being so good on a frozen dirt road. It was just like asphalt with maybe better traction because of the gravel and grit of the dirt being frozen in place. As I left the ice and hit the dirt, snap. It was a long cold walk out of that mountain and I learned another lesson.
History is offline   Reply With Quote