Thread: Stipe Oil Pump
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Stipe Oil Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Brent,
Please let me preface this with I respect your opinion and you make a good point. It has never ceased to amaze me how motors in the trucks you mentioned lasted as long as they did.
Now here comes the "BUT".
We all know that the middle main bearing is the weak link in these motors (and other 4 cylinder,3 main bearing engines). So here's my reasoning: It is also well known that the bottom end of modern engines is much more durable than they were in those days. Inserted bearings, oil filters, better oil, more bearings and pressurised bearings all play their part in that. I can't change the number of bearings so oil pressure is the only thing I wouldn't have if I didn't modify. I have pressurised the bearing in my other engine and had good results. I am wanting to use the same winning formula again this time. (When you're on a winner, stick to it!)
For solo car touring, I wouldn't go to the trouble of pressure feeding the bearing.
This is not a criticism of your comment or knowledge (much greater than mine). I'd welcome your further input.
Not sure it is really a 'weak link', --AND not so sure that pressurizing the center main is the only thing that makes it a winner. Many center mains fail because the crankshaft was incorrectly ground. In addition, poor babbittting techniques account for a lot of failures. Again, don't overlook the capability of a rebuilt stock oil pump. You likely will be surprised of how much volume, -and pressure they are capable of.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)