Thread: Rear hub bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rear hub bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct View Post
I need to replace the rear hub bolts on the A. I have steel brake drums so the new bolts require machining as they are made to suite cast iron drums. According to Mac's website the shoulder must be reduced by 1/16 inch.
Questions arising:- (refer to attached photos)
1) Is the taper between points A and B an integral factor in the swedging process?
2) Does the taper need to be maintained or can the shoulder be squared-off?
3) If it can be squared-off, from which point is the 1/16" reduction measured?
4) Has anyone worked with a dimension (C) that the shoulder needs to be from the drum pre the swedging process?
Thanks in anticipation of your responses. CT

I looked at my copy of the A-1118 print, and the taper between 'A&B' is listed at 45°.

The 'C' distance is not specified on the print however the specified length between the two 45° taper areas is listed as 29/64" (0.4531"). The OD of that area is listed at 0.625 - 0.628.

Now with all of that said, I will confess that I have never been successful at shortening the length in this area. The threads are ½-20" by about 0.625" in length. I tried to make a split collet to hold the stud in the chuck but even then I struggled with holding concentricity so the new taper would rivet (Ford used the term Rivet on the print instead of swage) evenly. I finally gave up and located some original studs to use. Maybe if you have plenty of time to keep indexing it to get the run-out down to less than 0.003" on the tapered end, you would be successful.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote