View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
tubman

Default Re: Mallory sbc to 8BA 4 lobe cam issues

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Is this the wasted spark system?? How do you run a V8 with a 4 lobe cam?? Must use 2 coils and a 180 plate. Not sure about the cap.
Ron - Did you read my post where I stated that these distributors require a special coil with two primary windings? The coils were made by Mallory and have three primary terminals instead of the normal two. I can post a picture of one tomorrow if need be. They look like a regular Mallory "FlashFire" coil with an extra primary terminal. In effect, these ARE dual coil systems. Because there is only ONE secondary winding, there is only one secondary lead from the coil so they can use a regular cap and rotor. It's quite clever when you think about it.

And, you can run a V8 with a 4 lobe cam and one coil if you have dual points phased properly. That's the Mallory "Double Life" distributor. Each set of points cycles only four times in two revolutions (all 4 cycles) instead of eight times, hence the name. I think this is also quite clever.

As a point of reference, with "regular" dual point system, both sets of points work in concert to increase the dwell and therefore coil saturation.

Last edited by tubman; 08-04-2020 at 08:09 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote