View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
SAJ

Default Re: Large air cleaners on RHD cars

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ha ha Derek. I am still at it all day manufacturing car body fillers, Builders Bog, car wash and fibreglass resins blah blah and so on. Steve Driver is retired but he may want patent fees for the design!
Actually Dave Mossman might object to that first statement and say I just get in the way while he manages all the chemicals manufacturing.
Steve has made several collectors for the A zenith carb, which is far easier to fit in due to the smaller intake diameter. They are a very neat unit with full sized intake area and smooth bore.
My earlier attempts used radiator hose, elephants trunking etc to get round the small space. 3 different iterations before Steve came up with this idea.
Synchro, was the exhaust bend on an A or B carb? I could not get a sharp enough steel bend with full sized 52 mm bore to clear the column without restricting the intake with flattened bits. Any photo available?
I notice many cars are subtly different in this area due to chassis sag, different steering columns, manifolds that have been machined etc.
Colin, I am sure you have a good solution to air cleaning too, having followed all your posts. What do you use? Most of the cleaners I see on RHD cars are too restrictive on warmed up engines in my opinion - maybe OK on standard engines driven at 45 MPH, but then lots of owners never check mixture, mpg and power, which is as much fun to me as actually owning repairing and running a vintage car.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 11-25-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added request for photo from Synchro
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote