View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 11:41 PM   #21
mrtexas

Default Re: Cooling for 49 hot rod

Sorry for the confusian, the fan is mounted on the water pump. I verified the water pump rotates CCW by cranking the engine and observing. Haven't done a lot of work on modern v8s, only flatheads!

I bought the hot rod already done. The engine IMHO was mounted about an inch too high in the front so a standard 18 inch diameter fan wouldn't fit without the radiator hitting the hood, had to raise the return pipe on the radiator and lower the radiator as much as I could. The rack/pinion installation was also a disaster and installed an inch too low causing bump steer( had to reinstall at the correct position to get it to steer.) Car came with a pusher electric fan.

This hot rod has been quite a learning experience for me. Just proves you need to know what you are doing(or have someone else who knows what they are doing) to put a modern motor in an old flathead car. Fortunately fixing the various drivetrain/steering problems hasn't been expensive but time consuming. Thought the car was finished when I bought it. The overheating problem appeared when I installed vintage air....

Thanks for all the comments.