View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 03:21 AM   #1
Karl

Default Help Me -before I go mad

Its not often I'm completely lost but this is it

I have been chasing an intermittent miss in the 34 which I can't find
Completely stock set up 6V Mike Driscoll Distributor Skip Haney Coil Uncle Max rebuilt Stromberg 48

Its a long story but I have completely hit a brick wall and I really need some help. I have had an intermittent miss for last 4 months intially was just a slight stumble at speed but has got progressively worse. A couple of months or so ago after 5 minutes driving the car began to buck and miss and even with full gas 30 mph was the most it would go As I slowed down to pull over died completely and would not start . My wife towed me home.

Found I had 4.3 Volts to the coil but absolutely no spark . Ok That's easy Coil or condenser. Since I have no way of testing the coil and on a 34 Taking the coil out is the easiest way to change the condensor I changed out both with a condenser that tested fine and a new Skip Haney Coil . Started right up but still continues to miss. Slightly lumpy at idle . but good spark to the plugs I have changed the condenser twice . I have changed the Distrib Caps , I've changed the plugs . I have checked and rechecked

Yesterday It did same thing (in the same place) after 5 minutes on load missing badly jerking and jumping and max 25mph at full throttle I pulled the choke didn't improve but back fired . After about 4 mins of this it came right . Tonight in the garage I have run it in the dark no shorts anywhere that I can see. I removed the plug leads and I have A nice juicy spark that jumps at least 1/4 inch to each plug. Suggesting to me that the ignition circuits are ok and the condenser/Coil is good

I did notice some garbage in the fuel pump bowl (Mike Driscoll rebuilt Fuel pump with a bowl) I have installed a fuel filter and Cleaned out the carb and all the carb lines even tried running my spare 97 and no improvement.

The only thing I can think of now is the plug leads or perhaps the surpressors on the leads for the radio -However I just can't see that multiple leads would all fail together -and then come right.

Have no idea what to do next

Help -Karl