View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #456
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Lyrebird.

The Lyrebird is found in the rain forest from S.E. Queensland to Southern Victoria and also Tasmania. It has acquired it name by its tail. Apparently its a little like an Italian musical instrument called a lyre pictured below. It’s predominantly a ground bird but does fly and roosts in trees overnight. Has a diet of small frogs, insects and other ground creatures. The male has a flashy tail and puts in on display to attract a girlfriend. It’s a courtship routine. Then he displays a variety of calls.This is what you will see in the clip. It’s not unlike a young male homo sapien that buys a flash car-perhaps a 1930 Ford Roadster Coupe. The horn is attracts attention and some play a musical tune. Now back to the Lyrebird. The unique feature is it’s mimic. Just watch David Attenborough give his commentary you won’t believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

I live on the plains and have seen only one, when we took the kids to the snow many years ago.
My friend Mark remembers as a kid living country just out of Melbourne. Mark says the steam train would come to the local station. The bird would mimic the whistle and the choo choo choo of the steam piston. Several times each day they’d hear it although mainly in the winter when the Lyrebird had prepared his territory for his mate. The female too has a unique call which is a territory declaration. It is not heard frequently.

Tomorrow the feature bird is parrots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lyrebird.JPG (82.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg musical lyre.JPG (35.7 KB, 0 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-12-2019 at 03:02 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote