View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #436
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Estuarine Crocodiles or Salt water Crocodile.

Well known is the estuarine or salt water crocodile because it is a man eater and bovine eater and horse and donkey eater but mainly for consumption of unsuspecting tourists. It gets a couple each year. It is the largest reptile in the world and is egg laying with mother taking protective guard of her future offspring. About 50 eggs and incubation period of 12 weeks. It lives to 70 years, grows to the extreme of 24 feet long and 1 ton in weight. Moves at fast speed in water and on land for short periods. Not intimidated by anything. Found mainly in Northern Australia plus Papua New Guinea and some parts of Indonesia. I’ve seen them from the air, sunning themselves on the river banks. Not frightened by aeroplane.

The Johnson River Crocodile or Freshwater Croc.
Named after Johnson an aboriginal policeman who first bought this to the attention of a naturalist, not the Johnson river in North Queensland. Can be found inland in good rivers and billabongs. Not aggressive infact slightly shy and swimmers bitten by this freshie only when it has mistaken it’s target.
Very much smaller than the saltie typically 8 feet long and weighing only about 150 pounds. Diet of small native animals. Like the saltie it lays nests and when the young hatch mother carries the bubs to the water in her mouth.
Both saltie and freshie have same habit on catching prey. They roll and roll and the prey drowns. The pictures, from the internet show 2 salties and on the right a freshie.
Tomorrow the Kangaroo.
A late footnote. When I lived in the Kimberlies of WA in the '60's I'd fly down the Ord River about 50 feet and infront, about 100 yards and see these little fellows run from the shore to the water. It was great to get such exposure to that wild life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salty.JPG (38.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg salty 2.JPG (42.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg croc freshie.JPG (40.9 KB, 2 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 01-05-2019 at 06:53 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote