View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #63
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Second version of the throttle assembly

This is a "work in progress" for sure! It has taken a few unexpected turns. Keep in mind I had NO familiarity with the earlier versions (as I had no need) until Rusty opened this can of worms . Just kidding Rusty. I saw details presented in a few photos that provided necessary details to build on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
Below each oiler hole, below the shaft, are 2 bulges.
I think someone indicated there's an oil saturated wick inside each bulge?
When finding a "plug" and a "wick" recorded 4/5/28 it fit the idea of the oil cup I saw in Tom Wesenberg's photo from a year or two ago. I expected the wick to be between the oil cup and shaft.

Dudley cleaned and tore his down providing photos and saying the wick was BELOW the shaft but his didn't have an oil cup. His description along with the pic showing the bulges made me see them as bored oil wells.

Quote:
#1 question... is there some passageway for freshly applied oil to reach this wick...or is this an early forerunner of permanent/one time lubrication?
The holes in the top of EVERY throttle control bracket are there for oiling. However your pics of the brass oil cups which appeared to be drilled after the fact makes me think they actually originated as "plugs" and the intent may have been "permanent/one time lubrication" with the plug to keep out foreign matter. Keep in mind that the lubrication was not really needed to prevent wear but WAS needed to prevent squeaks, etc.

Quote:
#2 another thing... of my shamefully small stash of only 6 throttle assemblies, two have the flat bottom.
Quite a few more pics have surfaced with this flat bottom unit...suggesting there must be thousands of them out there.
Is there some logical reason they didn't illustrate the flat bottom unit in the judging standards? .....Or....could it be the 2 dead guys responsible for the #2 ribbed assembly pic. actually meant to put in a flat bottom pic?
That is simple albeit unfortunate. When doing illustrating (especially on computer) you don't reinvent the wheel with every similar item. You copy or retain the like portions and add in the changes that represent a different versions. Assuming the illustrator was provided the proper info, he overlooked some of the variations. That would be rare for a professional but I'm certainly not in a position to know what actually occurred.